Friday, October 17, 2008

Mua Chi and Lor Mai Chi

I was watching my favourite Astro Chanel (703) one day and they were showing some street food and of course there's Mua Chi!

One of my favourite snacks. I first came across Mua Chi while I was in Penang some decades ago. My first try of that warm sticky ball and mmmm....I'm in love...! Can't seems to have enough of them till I have to ta pao some back when I leave but of course they didn't last the journey back.

After years of eating this delicious snack, I somehow still prefers the ones that I first had. I guess it could be because of the 'first taste is the deepest' thingy? Now Mua Chi has evolved from simple peanut, sesame and sugar with plain steam glutinous flour to various types of flavours like black sesame, taro, pandan, red bean etc. And I still prefer the original plain ones.

You may wonder why am I writing this Mua Chi thingy...okay, I want to try to make them myself! Instead of buying them from the market which is so much simpler and convenient, I want to try my hands on this recipe. If you must know, I like to learn making the things that I like to eat, just in case no one makes them anymore in future.

So, hang on. Once I succeeded in making this delicious snack, I will post it up this blog. Be patient, sometimes it need more than one try.

By the way if you are curious why the title of this blog includes Lor Mai Chi, well I realized that lor mai chi is the reverse version of mua chi. Made from the same ingredients, one with the peanuts wrapped inside, the other coated outside! Interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment