Monday, February 15, 2010

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Happy Tiger Year!

Firstly, I'd like to wish everyone who celebrates this New Year of The Tiger a year filled with all the best things you'd wished for! And of course that goes to me as well!

This year is almost the same as any other year except that I need not "Balik Kampung" (going back hometown). My mom came to KL for a change.

And...what else? An extremely high possibility of committing one of the seven sins, 'gluttony' (as my friend quoted...). Yes, FOOD MARATHON! Starting from New Year's eve till....I wonder if there's an end?

I tried something different this new year eve, I prepared the 'Poon Choi' or 'Pen Chai'. Direct translation means 'Basin Vegetable'. Some called it 'The Big Bowl Feast' or 'Basin Feast'.

Okay, a little bit about 'Poon Choi'...it's a traditional Hakka dish served on special occasions and festive season. It's a combination of several dishes (about 6 - 8 types of food, could be more) being cooked separately and then laid out layer by layer in a single bowl. That's why you need a very big bowl! Right, if you want to know more read here.

There is no actual ingredient or way to prepare Poon Choi. Just follow your own needs and creation.

And this is Poon Choi my way...


First layer
- Chinese cabbage stir fried with dried shrimp.











2nd layer

- Braised gluten puff with roast pork









3rd layer

- smooth steamed white chicken











4th layer
- roast duck








5th layer

- braised black moss (fatt choy) with dried oysters and scallops









6th layer
- braised chinese mushroom in special sauce.









7th layer

- prawns, steamed with ginger, garlic and chinese wine.








8th layer

- the main ingredient of the day, abalone!
braised in special sauce.






This is the final outlook of my 8 layers Poon Choi (Fatt Choy Poon Choi)!














And how you eat it? Just dig in and enjoy!


yumm.....


No comments:

Post a Comment