Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Taxi! Taxi!


I'm not a common user of the taxi's services in our country. Of course I've used them before but I kind of try my best not to...why?

No, I didn't quarrel with any taxi drivers. I just do not like to bargain with them. Bargain? Well yes, you have to! Everyone knows that! Here are the few steps you take when you need to use their services.

Step 1 : You flagged down a taxi. If he stops...you do not jump right in.

Step 2 : Ask the driver if he wishes to go to your destination. If he say "No", back to step 1!
If the answer is "Yes", proceed to step 3.

Step 3 : Ask him if he is using the taxi meter? If "Yes", it's your LUCKY day! Hop on and enjoy your ride! If "No", proceed to step 4.

Step 4 : Ask him politely how much is he charging for your trip? If you think the fare is reasonable hop on. If not, let him know politely how much you are willing to pay. If you can strike a deal with him, bravo! If not, back to step 1!

At any point do not argue with them, not worth your time and energy. Might spoil your day too because 8 out of 10 taxi drivers have the same attitude problem. The other 2 are the rare species.

Am I glad that I do not have to go through this everyday like some of you. And our government said that they cannot do much about this because these taxi drivers are somehow quite stubborn and there are too many taxis around, it's hard to keep track on all of them? I really do not agree.

I've been to other countries (well I'm a bit lucky lah) and I've never encounter such problem with their taxi services. Singapore - uses the meter all the time, just add a nominal fee if it's after 11pm. You just have to tell them where you want to go, no question asked. Unless they do not know where's the place. Thailand - same. Indonesia - same. China - same.

Please tell me if these countries are smaller than Malaysia? Any difficulties to keep track on their drivers by their authorities? How do they do that? Why they can and we cannot?

Sigh...I think our authorities should look into this situation seriously and do something about it. It's not cannot, it's whether you want or not? There's always a solution.

2 comments:

  1. actually even if u bargained politely, u will be scolded too. AND now they are considering to raise the public transport fares including taxi's fare. i hv to say is a "REASONABLE" increase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! You're right! "REASONABLE" increase. Let's hope the standard of service will be REASONABLY increased too!

    ReplyDelete