Sunday, August 16, 2009

Roses without thorns.

We often hear people saying. ...'thorn among roses' and I'm sure we all know what that means. So I'm not going to elaborate.

Then one of my friends told me that there are roses which do not have thorns. Sounds interesting. I've seen and planted roses and I've never come across one that has no thorns. Well, is it true or false?

Before I continue there's one thing that I want to straighten out...those thorns? They are not thorns! It is a common error to refer to roses having thorns. Thorns are modified branches or stems, whereas these sharp protrusions on a rose are modified epidermal tissues...called 'prickles'. Got that?

Okay coming back to whether there are roses which do not have thorns? Eh no, prickles! The answer...'Yes', there are a few species of roses which only have vestigial prickles that have no points.

Prickle-free roses are particularly appropriate for elderly gardeners, young children and people susceptible to injury due to an impaired lymphatic system . Here are three top varieties of roses without prickles.


The Smooth Buttercup. The Smooth Buttercup is a compact floribunda (a class of modern roses in which the blooms are in clusters) that produces clusters of beautiful bright golden yellow blossoms.

The Banksiae Rose (Rosa banksiae lutea) is another variety that has been popular with gardeners since it was introduced in Kew Gardens almost two centuries ago.



The Zephirine Drouhin is one of the most popular roses without prickles. Named after the wife of a French rose enthusiast, the Zephirine Drouhin is a beautiful Bourbon rose with a strong and sweet fragrance.




So there you have it. Is everything clear now? Don't you just love roses? They are so pretty and they smell nice! And now you can touch them too without getting hurt! (some) I love them!

Here's a mandarin song for you...'Rose Rose I Love You' Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment